Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Thing I Hate To Love ...

The picture of this plate brings a lot of smiles and happiness to my little boy. But it sure hasn't always been like that. Carson has had feeding/eating troubles since the day his little 4.5-pound body arrived. He had a feeding tube for almost 3 weeks and aggressive feeding therapy every day (sometimes twice a day) until he left the hospital. But it was after he came home from the hospital that the work really began. Car needed constant chin and cheek support every time he sucked from a bottle. And if I nursed him, it was instant frustration and truly one of the hardest things I have ever done. We had to place him on Zantac right away for reflux issues.

As Carson grew, the feeding problems changed. Sometimes he couldn't find his mouth or he would choke/gag on the simplest of items. In October 2007, Carson had surgery to remove his oversized tonsils and adenoids. We have seen leaps and bounds of improvement since October, but he still has lingering feeding issues and slow weight gain.

So in January 2008, Allison (Occupational Feeding Therapist) came into our lives. She introduced all of us to the "Circle Plate". I seriously hated this thing from the minute she suggested it. Not only did it seem "juvenile" for Carson (weird to say that considering he was 24 months at the time), but also it increased my workload for each meal considerably (I'll spare you the details on how this thing "works"). But over time, we have worked through the MANY challenges Carson has had with eating. We came from 100% of our meals ending in tears to almost 100% of our meals ending in a well-fed and happy boy. This has NOT been easy, and we still have our daily struggles feeding Carson. But he is gaining weight now and gets excited to have a HAPPY PLATE at every meal! Who would have known that this simple looking plastic-sectioned plate would bring so much happiness to the Buckwalter home - but it has - and for that reason (although I hate to admit it) - I love this plate.

13 comments:

Ryan and Julianne said...

Love that cute little boy!

Heidi Hamilton said...

I love all the pictures of your kids! They are so cute - and so is your blog! Hope you guys are doing well!

Stacy said...

That is wonderful that you have seen improvements!!! Does he still choke or gag on things? If he does... Check out this site:
http://www.protectallergickids.com/EE.html

One of my friend's children has Eosinophilic Esophagitis and it sounds similar to what he may have been going through. On the site, it has some symptoms on the right hand side of the page. Just a thought.

I'm glad he's doing better. It's so scary when you don't know what to do in order to help him out.

Stevens said...

Hi Mindi!
I'd love to have the details of the "happy plate"! Sounds like a winner to me!! Your kids are getting so grown up! How fun!
bee

Jordan said...

He is darling. I am glad he is doing better.

AmbertheGreat said...

MINDI!!!!! How are you doing? I am so glad that I finally found you, I think about you all the time - this is Amber Clement (now Anderson) from Ricks and Discovery! Your children are so cute! I would love to hear from you and catch up...jakesgurl@gmail.com

Katie said...

Hi Mindi,sorry I misplaced your email address. This is Katie, we stayed with the Sanfords a couple of months ago and are moving out there. We talked about possibly helping you move a bed out there. We are loading up the moving crate this Saturday, and it is getting picked up on Monday. We don't have a truck or anything to pick up the bed, but if you but if you have someone that can get it to us, We would love to help get that out to you. Let me know if we can help out. My email is katiehutchison27@gmail.com. See you in a few weeks!

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Hey there Ryan and family. This is Jenn (Vassel) from forever ago! It was fun to happen upon your blog. Your family is just beautiful!

Kristen said...

We had such a great visit and still talk about having a "happy plate". Thanks for everything and we miss you and love you.

Jordan said...

Hi Mindi, Jordan (LEAK) here. I just wanted to peek at your twins. They are SOOOO cute. They look so healthy and beautiful. I'm glad you're doing well...
Jordan

Heidi said...

So you will have to send me some link about this happy plate concept because our little miss 15th percentile featherweight could sure use some help!

Kara said...

Mindi- I tagged you for the sole purpose of getting you to update your blog. Now go!
p.s. see you next weekend.

Brammer Family said...

Update Update Update!!! Get some pics up Mindi!!! :)